One of two brothers, who were charged with the manslaughter of their mother in Sydney’s west, has been revealed as a current member of the Australian Federal Police.

Former NSW Police officer and current AFP member Phillip Thompson, 42, and his brother David, 39, faced court today over the death of their mother Shirley, 73, last year.

A police fact sheet that was tendered to court today showed that Phillip called an ambulance in August last year before paramedics found his mother lying naked on a urine- and faeces-stained bed in a Greystanes home.

Former NSW policeman Phillip Thompson and his brother David fronted court today over the manslaughter of their elderly mother last year. (Supplied)

After being taken to Blacktown Hospital, she was also found to have 19 severe bed sores, some to the bone, and bruising to her hips and legs – injuries that later contributed to her death on September 2 as a result of blood poisoning.

Authorities at the hospital alerted police when they found that Mrs Thompson was severely dehydrated and malnourished.

The fact sheet also revealed that paramedics asked Mrs Thompson when she last showered and whether her sons helped her or gave her a cloth.

The two brothers have been remanded in custody after being charged with their mother’s manslaughter in Sydney’s west. (9NEWS)

The 73-year-old answered, “I don’t know. He just gives me a cloth and asks me to do it myself.”

The court heard that Phillip and David both lived with her and were her caregivers and medical experts estimated Shirley Thompson had been bed-bound for two to three weeks prior to her death.

Police have said that a search of the premises today found it to be in a state of disrepair.

Phillip and David Thompson kept their mother in horrific conditions, the court heard.

Police heard Shirley Thompson, 73, was found by ambulance officers lying in urine and faeces.

The mattress Mrs Thompson had been laying on was deemed a biological hazard and there was a mark left on one of the bedroom’s walls where her head had been resting for a long period of time.

Phillip applied for bail, which was rejected, while David did not. Both brothers were remanded in custody.

The court heard that the brothers stood to inherit $1.5 million from their mother – money which has since been left in the hands of the family trustee.

The court heard the house was in a state of disrepair.

The pair’s lawyer, Michael Moussa, said he is waiting to assess the entire scope of the charges.

“Once the brief has been served, we’ll be able to assess the brief, but at this stage the presumption of innocence applies,” he said.

The police prosecutor today said a strong case will be presented against the brothers, with evidence including a recorded conversation between the two brothers where they discussed the care of their mother and internet search histories.

Both brothers are expected to reappear before court on June 28.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2018

Get In Touch!

"*" indicates required fields